Policies and solutions for ordinary working families, small businesses, and communities.
I’m committed to fighting for a government that works to improve the lives of all who live, work, and worship in North Texas.
Reproductive Rights & Personal Liberty
With SCOTUS' decision to overturn Roe v. Wade and the Texas Republican Party’s attack on abortion rights, reproductive rights, personal liberty, and the right to privacy, there has never been a more important time for bold action at the State Level.
We are not just fighting for a woman’s right to choose; We are fighting for a woman’s right to live.
When it comes to access to abortion and reproductive healthcare, I believe it is a decision that is deeply personal, and that important decisions about pregnancy should be made between a woman and her physician.
- Increased access to maternal healthcare regardless of what zip code you live in or your income level.
- Funding family and pregnancy planning services and enacting legal protection for healthcare providers.
- Enhancing resources for adoption, and protecting access to birth-control.
- Protecting the privacy of all Texans
- Equal Protection for LGBTQ Texans because I believe that every human being deserves equal protection under the law and a representative in government that stands beside them.
As your State Senator, I will never back down from fighting for a woman's right to choose, and I will never shy away from defending individual liberty in the Statehouse.
Strong Public Schools & Higher Education
Texans have seen their property taxes increase year after year due to the funding formulas used by our Republican legislature. Yet, despite paying more property taxes than almost every other State in the Union, Texas ranks only 37th in terms of education. We must demand a better return on our investment – school finance reform and a renewed commitment to public education must be critical focuses for the State Legislature next session.
- School Finance Reform: By reforming our school finance formula, we could reduce property taxes, and ensure every Texas child receive the tools they need to succeed. The diversion of public school dollars to the charter school system results in more money being spent per student in a charter school than in any public school.
- Restore Teacher Benefits: We must restore retirement benefits for our teachers. Not only are our teachers paid below average, but they also receive one of the worst retirement benefit packages in the nation. Our educators deserve a dignified retirement and competitive pay. They have worked for decades for our children and are now having the rug pulled out from under them.
- Eliminate High Stakes Testing: High Stakes Testing creates higher dropout rates and only rewards wealthy school districts. Our teachers want the freedom to teach again, and in order to make that happen, we must replace our current standardized testing system. I believe in holding our schools accountable, but I also believe that our teachers should have flexibility in the curriculum, and students should be free to learn without the constant anxiety from testing.
In addition to these proposals, I also support:
– Reducing class sizes
– Cost of living adjustments for our educators
– Increased mental health services in schools
– Expanding Pre-K
Affordable Healthcare & Expanding Medicaid
Healthcare is a Right, and Not a Privilege.
Texas remains the most uninsured State in the country - and that is not acceptable. It's time to make sure everyone can see a doctor, afford their medication, and invest in healthier communities. I support:
- Expanding Medicaid in our State so that low-income Texans have access to affordable care.
- Funding Equitable Resources to ensure all women have access to routine OB-GYN services, including before, during, and after a pregnancy, and fight to ensure that every Texan has access to the care and services they need regardless of sexual identity or orientation.
- Reducing Prescription Drug Costs so that people are no longer forced to choose between paying bills, putting food on the table, or filling a prescription.
- Protecting Texans from Prescription Price Gouging and Profiteering
- Funding public health and wellness infrastructure
- Strengthening consumer protection so that unexpected illness does not lead to financial ruin.
- Funding eldercare and home health services to provide the ability for individuals to age with dignity.
- Increasing mental health care service availability
- The lack of psychiatrists in the State of Texas has created a shortage of providers for mental health services, particularly for children.
- The State should improve mental health reimbursement rates to increase the percentage of psychiatrists who will accept Medicaid patients, providing access to health care for those who cannot afford private payments
- Increasing funding and pay to retain state psychiatric nurses, therapists, and clinicians.
A Stronger Economy & Workers Rights
As a candidate endorsed by the Texas AFL-CIO I believe in promoting the development of an economy with the benefits felt by all.
We must focus on strengthening the middle class, protecting workers, encouraging entrepreneurial spirit, and planning ahead to keep our state competitive.
- Raising the Minimum Wage to
account for inflation so that we can protect our most vulnerable workers and give working families the opportunity to go as far in life as their ambition will take them.
- Fair Taxes for Working Families & Small Businesses - Tax cuts should focus on helping small businesses and families who need them, not corporations who don't.
- Treating your taxpayer dollars with respect through responsible use of State funds
- Property tax relief for working families and retirees.
- Vocational Training so that Texas workers can acquire the skills that employers are seeking in the 21st century and move up the economic ladder.
- Infrastructure for a growing population to ensure local municipalities and counties have the resources to keep people safe and keep goods moving.
- Investing in reliable public transportation including high speed rail, bus, and intermodal transportation for access to more opportunities with fewer carbon emissions.
- Investing in our workforce through affordable higher education including alternative options such as community colleges and trade schools, increasing state funding of community colleges.
Criminal Justice Reform & Public Safety
Safer streets and communities requires accountability, courage, and criminal justice reform - it must be a priority for Texas, and it is a priority for me.
Our current policies on gun control, juvenile justice, marijuana prohibition, and private prisons have created a justice system that does not protect those who are at risk – victims of domestic violence, children who come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and people of color.
Ending the Use of Private Prisons: The use of private prisons automatically creates profit incentives in our criminal justice system. Not only is that fact immoral, but it also does nothing to make Texas safer. These corporations are not held to the same level of accountability, leading to shady practices, and worse outcomes for our state. Incarceration has two goals – protect society from dangerous individuals, and rehabilitate those who will re-enter society. It is not, nor should ever be, about making money.
Ending the School to Prison Pipeline: We need to address the discipline techniques employed in our schools and ensure that they are proportional and being fairly applied to all students. Too often, children of color face harsher punishments than their white peers, especially those with learning or mental health disabilities. Furthermore, our children should have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes without missing significant amounts of education.
Legalization of Marijuana: Medical and recreational cannabis have the potential to improve the lives of Texans in several ways. Those who suffer from mental health disorders, chronic pain, and other medical conditions could use its medicinal properties to find relief from symptoms. Additionally, recreational cannabis would bring in significant tax revenue, while at the same time reducing costs related to enforcing marijuana prohibition. It is time for Texas to join the majority of states who have recognized marijuana’s positive potential.
Fixing our Power Grid & Green Energy Jobs
It's simple: The lights should stay on when you need power, the heat should work when you need it, and Texas should continue to lead the Nation as a producer of renewable energy, and invest in green energy to promote and develop good paying jobs far into the future.
It's time to fix our power grid - Texans deserve reliable energy infrastructure and protection from price gouging.
Position Texas as the forefront of modern energy solutions, including increased electric vehicle infrastructure and clean natural gas infrastructure.
Support training and vocational services to secure a workforce that provides quality and good paying jobs in clean, renewable energy
Promote Solar Incentives for individuals, small businesses, and communities.
Protect consumers from price gouging and hold energy companies accountable.
By making clean and renewable energy the cornerstone of our energy policies, we can keep the lights on in Texas and secure our place in the 21st Century energy sector by looking forward as leaders in wind, solar, geothermal, and renewable solutions.
This earth is the only one we get, and ignoring science won’t make the challenges it faces go away.
Preventing & Reducing Gun Violence
Parents shouldn't have to worry if their child will come home from school - or not - due to gun violence. It's time to act responsibly and work to keep our communities safe.
I believe in balancing rights afforded by the 2nd Amendment with common-sense reforms that have support of the majority of Texans, such as background checks, red-flag laws, limiting the availability of weapons designed for use on the battlefield, regulating the availability of high capacity magazines, increased focus on training for first responders, and supporting safe storage measures to help prevent accidental death in homes of gun-owners.
Most importantly, we must address the root causes of violence and mass shootings, and I support real, actual increased funding and action access to mental health services to help prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining firearms and causing harm to our communities.
Protecting our Democracy & Voting Rights
With only 54% of the voting age population casting a ballot in 2020's election, we must making voting easier--not harder. I believe a healthy society requires participation in our democracy at every level.
- Providing funding for 24 Hour in Person / Drive-Thru Voting Locations in Every County
- Online Voter Registration & Ease of Renewal
- Safe, secure, free and fair elections.
- Campaign finance reform
- Ranked Choice Voting for a healthier democracy
- Equal access to polling locations
Safe & Affordable Housing
If you own a home, you've probably noticed that your taxes, utilities, expenses and costs for repairs have all increased. If you're looking to own a home, you've probably noticed that it's more difficult than ever to afford, qualify, and buy the home you need.
And if you're renting, you probably know that rent increases, availability, cost, and surcharges have gone up, while the quality of life hasn't increased.
No one should have to work more than one job to keep a roof over their head and put food on the table. I'm ready to:
- Work with local municipalities and counties to fund and develop affordable housing because everyone deserves a safe place to call home.
- Provide incentives that promote equitable mixed use zoning for property development
- Strengthen protection for Renters
- Help provide resources to ensure developments meet the needs of those who work and live in North Texas.