Official Statement on SB 8
Texas women were hit with a tremendous blow this week, moving reproductive rights back by 50 years.
With the Supreme Court’s blessing, Governor Abbott and his right wing extremists in the Texas legislature would have us believe that this bill protects life. All this while doing all they can to endanger the lives of our school children during a pandemic.
This bill goes above and beyond in removing rights toward women’s bodily autonomy. Here is what the bill does:
- Prohibits abortions at 6 weeks gestation, before most women even know they’re pregnant. This means over 85% of abortions are prohibited by law.
- This includes cases of rape and incest
- Allows anyone to police the personal choices of other citizens with $10,000 bounty
- Gives sexual predators more rights than their victims
- Removes rights for women given the news of an unviable pregnancy
Let’s get real – if our Govenor and State Legeslature really wanted to reduce the abortion rate, they would ensure essential female healthcare services, including contraceptives as well as providing comprehensive sex-education in our public schools. Rather than take these proactive measures, they opt to demonize women. This is evident with their attacks on women’s health clinics and organizations in our State.
Now, more than ever, it is essential that we elect leaders who will fight for a woman’s right to choose. I will fight to ensure all women have access to routine OB-GYN services, including before, during, and after a pregnancy.